Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hacking a Young Coconut

Best Blogger Tips As I have mentioned before, I live in a small city in Central Nebraska with a population of about 5,500.  We have two grocery stores.  If you want anything foreign or exotic, the closest you can get are Mexican-American foods, Chinese-American foods, and three Swedish items: lingonberry jam, pickled herring, and Bondost cheese.

When I spotted the young coconuts in the produce section of one of the stores, I stopped in my tracks.  I heard of them a few years ago when I first learned about the raw food diet, but I had never seen one.  I put one in my cart immediately.  I wanted to try it and by doing so, I hoped the store would carry more exotic foods.   

I let it sit in my fridge for almost a week and before I ventured to cut into it.  I had no idea what I was doing.


I found a site online that told me how to open it.  I went through the pictures a few times on my computer before getting started.  I chose a knife like the one on the website.
After a little struggle, I managed to cut the top off.  That's all.  But, I kept trying.

I hacked on it for a while longer.  Where was this amazing coconut water I had heard about??
Maybe my knife wasn't sharp enough.  I got out my Ulu knife to see if it would work.

More hacking.  NO COCONUT WATER! Was it really in there?
I went looking for a hammer in the garage, but I couldn't find one. 
I eyeballed the hacksaw and almost grabbed it.  Instead, I pulled the serrated bread knife
off of the kitchen wall.
BACK-AND-FORTH-BACK-AND-FORTH...
BACK-AND-FORTH-BACK-AND-FORTH...
I finally cut through it!  I almost spilled some of that precious coconut water!
Next, I had to take the top off.  I went back to the original knife.
This part was really easy.
I pried the top off and looked inside.  There was all that water I was waiting for!
And just like that, it was gone.  DELICIOUS!  The water tasted like toasted coconut,
not the flaked, sugary kind I buy at the grocery store.
Then, I tried the coconut "meat" I scraped out from the inside with a spoon.
Tasty!  It kind of had a chewy, jelly-like texture.  It was very moist and yummy!
I'm glad I bought the young coconut and kept struggling until I opened it!

If I see them at the store again, I will definitely pick another one up!  Hopefully, opening it will be easier the second try.

Have you ever tried a raw coconut?  Was it easy for you to open?  Do you have any tricks to opening it?  Do you have raw coconut recipes?


Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...