Friday, November 25, 2011

RECIPE: Grandma Gladys' Apple Salad

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]
When I was a little girl, I had the privilege of having two grandparents and one great-grandparent living a few blocks from me.  My Great-Grandma Gladys was my favorite.  She always let me play with her breakable figurines; we would sing and dance around together listening to Lawrence Welk on 8 tracks and PBS. 

Grandma Gladys didn't eat health food.  She drank "cowboy" coffee (coffee grounds that have been boiled) and loved apple fritters.  However, she also loved fruits and vegetables and hardly ever ate processed food.  I can still remember how she walked to the grocery store 10 blocks away while she was in her late 80s.  

She died at the age of 107, ten years ago.  When her recipes grace our table, I feel like she is still with us.

This apple salad is made with Miracle Whip and mustard, but it tastes sweet instead of sour.  The odd combination of condiments with added vanilla and sugar creates a dressing that tastes like apples.  Add banana and walnuts for an array of soft and crunchy textures that is perfect for any dinner table.


The ingredients for the dressing. 
I used honey mustard since I didn't have any yellow mustard.
Mixing it all together. 
I'm still not sure how I feel about turning the flash off on my camera.

Taste the dressing after it is mixed.
It tastes like it has apple juice in it, doesn't it?

After peeling the bananas, I quartered them lengthwise, then sliced them.
The bananas are brown because I put them in the fridge a few days ago.
If you put them in the fridge, it slows the ripening process. 
The peels may brown, but the bananas are perfect inside!

I chopped the apples in very small pieces. 
I wanted to have all of the apples and bananas the same size.
I
All sliced and ready for the dressing and walnuts.
Mixing it all together.

Ready to serve!

[Print this recipe]

GRANDMA GLADYS' APPLE SALAD

Ingredients:

*1 cup Miracle Whip or Miracle Whip Light
*3 Tb. sugar
*1 tsp. yellow mustard or honey mustard
*1 tsp. vanilla extract
*3 bananas
*3 apples
*1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Directions:

1.  Combine Miracle Whip, mustard, vanilla, and sugar in a small bowl.  Blend until well incorporated.
2.  Peel bananas and core apples.  Chop bananas and apples into small, uniform pieces and add to large bowl.  Add dressing mixture and walnuts.  Mix well.
3.  Serve immediately.  Refrigerate any leftovers and use within a day or two.  Bananas and apples will begin to brown after several hours.

Substitutions:
1.  Pecans or other chopped nuts maybe used.
2.  Add mini marshmallows or chopped celery, if desired.

Do you have a favorite recipe from one of your grandparents?  What is it?Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...