Sunday, November 6, 2011

RECIPE: Sweet Potato Hash Browns (Vegetarian)

Best Blogger Tips Autumn is my favorite holiday.  Technically, it is a season, but I celebrate it like a holiday.  I buy pumpkin and cinnamon scented candles.  Somehow, despite my efforts to save money, I always buy lots of fall inspired body wash, body spray, and lotion from Bath and Body Works.  I drag the box of autumn stuff from the basement, including leaf garland, placemats, towels, napkins and other decorations.

I also start craving squash and sweet potatoes. 

I have baked sweet potatoes and used them to make mashed potatoes.  Today, I thought hash browns made with sweet potatoes sounded good.  The recipe is easy and straightforward, though I would definitely recommend using a food processor to shred them.  I also had to be careful while cutting the sweet potatoes into chunks that would fit in the food processor.

I used equal parts butter and oil.  The oil helps the butter from burning.  They can be made without the butter, though it adds flavor.
Sweet Potato Hash Browns 

SWEET POTATO HASH BROWNS

Ingredients:

*3 sweet potatoes or yams
*equal parts oil and butter
*equal parts cinnamon and sugar (optional)

Directions:

1.  Peel and shred sweet potatoes.  Heat large skillet to medium heat and add butter and oil.
2.  Fry shredded potatoes, turning often for 15 to 20 minutes.  (The naturally occuring sugar in the sweet potatoes will cause them to stick more than white potatoes. )
3.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, if desired.  Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

What do you think?  Will you be trying this recipe?Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...