Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What I Ate Wednesday: Prepping for the Big Day!

Best Blogger Tips
It's the Tuesday before Thanksgiving at my house.  I started prepping food for the holiday on Monday, in an attempt to make Thursday less stressful.  I am taking my sons to my parents' house to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and I don't want to freak out when I get home.

I am making the ENTIRE meal myself for my husband, our two sons, and four young men.

First of all, here is what I ate.


I always start my day with a spinach protein shake. 
I try to make them a day ahead so I can just grab it out of the fridge.

Later on for lunch, I had 12 oz. of thawed, frozen blueberries. 

Next, I had a bag of Green Giant Valley Blend Steamers. 
The variety with carrots, golden cauliflower, and broccoli is my favorite.


I drank the rest of the spinach protein shake for an afternoon snack. 
I usually have a pint in the morning and a quart in the afternoon. 
Mason jars are perfect for storing them in the fridge.

For supper, I had a bag of Green Giant Healthy Colors Steamers
and baked cod with fresh thyme.
My husband made supper since the baby was fussy.
It only took 15 min. from start to finish.


Here is all the food prepping for Thanksgiving that I accomplished today.
I made two pie crusts for pecan-walnut and pumpkin pie. 
I wrapped them and put them in the fridge
so they are ready for the filling tomorrow.

I made a double crust and filled it with cherry pie filling. 
I got first place at the fair when I was a kid for the pie crust recipe.
I refuse to use refrigerated crusts from the store.  They have lard in them most of the time.
I turned the flash off for this one.  I don't get very much natural light in the kitchen,
so I wasn't sure how it would turn out.
When I first started baking pies in junior high school, I hated fluting the crust and would always have someone else do it for me.  That's my attempt at carving a cherry for the vent.

I cubed and dried bread for the dressing recipe.  
I got started on pulling the leaves off of the rosemary and thyme. 
I was so excited to see they were grown only 1 hour away from where I live!
Finally, I stuffed the 15 lb. turkey in a bucket with salt water and put it in the chilly garage.

 Busy day!


Come back tomorrow for my recipe for
Grandma Gladys' Apple Salad!

 
Did you get any of your Thanksgiving preparations done early?
Do you make turkey?  Do you brine it first? 
Do you use fresh herbs in your stuffing/dressing?
Pin It Best Blogger Tips

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a day of good eats! The pie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I baked the pies today and they do look yummy. I will post pictures of them tomorrow or Friday.
    I want to make each of our traditional dishes. Since I am making all of the food myself and hosting, I have been trying to make a little every day.
    I have a 4 year old and 4 month old at home, so I have to break it into small tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your carved cherries look awesome. I could never make a pie crust look that good.

    And BOOOO to lard/shortening in pie crust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had about 17 years of practice with the pie crusts, so I hope I can do okay by now! : )

    I will cut corners, but never with pie crust! LOL

    Thank you for the compliments on the cherries. They turned out better than I hoped.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...