Sunday, November 13, 2011

What to Make with a Can of Pumpkin Part 3: Easy Pumpkin Cheese Soup (Vegetarian)

Best Blogger Tips
When I first told my husband about my idea to make a savory pumpkin cheese soup, he replied,

 "Yuck."

"Yuck?" I said.  "Why 'yuck'?"

"Because pumpkin is supposed to be sweet," he answered.

But pumpkin doesn't have to be sugary to taste good.  It is a member of the squash family and can be used in all kinds of savory recipes.  I actually prefer squash with a little bit of butter and salt.

Set out to make something my skeptic husband would like, I made Pumpkin Cheese Soup.  The sharp cheddar, onion, and celery give it a beer cheese soup taste, while the sage and thyme hint at a holiday dinner.  I used my Vita-Mix to emulisfy the cheese and mince the celery and onion, but you could also use a blender or mince the vegetables by hand.

And my husband thought it tasted great!
Milk, cheese, and McKays seasoning in my Vitamix.

Adding pumpkin puree to the milk, cheese, celery, and onion mixture.
Ready to go in the stock pot!

After I added the Bakon seasoning and poultry seasoning.
Pumpkin Cheese Soup garnished with fresh thyme.

PUMPKIN CHEESE SOUP

Ingredients:

*4 c. unsweetened almond milk or dairy milk
*1 Tb. McKays chicken style instant broth seasoning or chicken soup base
*2 Tb. flour
*8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
*1 stalk celery, quartered
*1 small onion, quartered
*15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
*1 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning (or 1/4 tsp. each of thyme, sage, rosemary, marjoram, black pepper, and nutmeg)
*1 tsp. Bakon seasoning hickory smoke style

Directions:

1.  Pour milk, McKays seasoning, flour, and shredded cheese into high speed blender.  Blend on high until cheese is blended into milk.
2.  Add celery and onion.  Blend on medium high until celery and onion are minced.
3.  Add pumpkin puree.  Blend on medium speed until milk mixture is combined with puree.
4.  Pour into medium stockpot.  Bring heat to medium.  Add poultry seasoning and Bakon seasoning.
5.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

  • Have you ever eaten pumpkin in a savory dish before?
  • Are there other foods that you are suprised tasted good either sweet or savory?
  • Did you chop the veggies by hand or use a blender?
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...