Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Cookie #6: Cowboy Cookies

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]
Grandma Elaine as a girl

My Grandma Elaine passed away in December 2010.  She was born on Christmas day, so last Christmas was especially difficult for us.  I miss her so much.

My Grandma Elaine grew up in the Sandhills of Nebraska.  The sandy, porous soil of the northwestern part of the state makes farming difficult.  Cattle graze on most of the land in the Sandhills, tended by genuine cowboys.

Today, I am sharing my Grandma Elaine's Cowboy Cookie recipe.  You make them like a basic chocolate chip cookie, using brown sugar and shortening for the dough.  The addition of oatmeal and nuts make this a hearty cookie, unlike dainty cookies, Peppermint Meltaways or Raspberry Thumbprints (check for the recipe next week).


I started by combining the sugars and shortening in my Kitchen Aid. 
Then, I added vanilla and eggs and mixed them into the sugar and shortening.
Next, I added flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
After I made the dough,
I added oats.
Finally, I added mini chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
The dough has lots of goodies in it!
Then, I used my cookie scoop to spoon the dough out
and I flattened them slightly with a spoon on my baking sheet.

Cowboy Cookies are a delicious variation of classic chocolate chip cookies.


COWBOY COOKIES

Ingredients:

*1 c. brown sugar
*1 c. sugar
*1 c. butter flavored shortening
*2 eggs
*1 tsp. vanilla extract
*2 c. all-purpose flour
*1 tsp. baking soda
*1/2 tsp. baking powder
*1/2 tsp. salt
*2 c. quick oats
*12 oz. pkg. mini chocolate chips
*1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cream butter and sugar in large bowl. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
3. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix into creamed mixture until blended.
4. Add oats, chocolate chips, and nuts. Mix well.
5. Drop teaspoonsful 2-3" apart on cookie sheet. Flatten slightly.
6. Bake for 10 minutes at 350F.

Yields 4-5 dozen.

Have you ever had a death in your family around the holidays?  How did it impact you and your family?
  • Sunday, I will post Raspberry Thumbprints, number 7 of my 12 Cookies of Christmas.  I hope you will join me for the recipe! 





 
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...