Tuesday, December 6, 2011

RECIPE: Pepper and Portabello Sandwich

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]

One of my husband's favorite meals is fajitas. 

Fajitas  is also one of the few meals we make together.  I start coring and slicing the green, red, or yellow peppers.  He grabs the onion, cleaning the papery skin off before cutting them, tears welling up in his eyes.  We throw them in the large skillet and soon the warm aroma fills our kitchen.

He usually eats five fajitas before he realizes it.

When I envisioned this sandwich, I wanted those same sensations from fajitas.  I also thought of a steak and cheese sandwich.  Instead of using steak, I used baby portabella mushrooms, which add a meaty taste.  Then, I added avocado slices, olive oil mayo, and colby-jack cheese on ciabatta bread. 

The sandwich was a hit!  My husband went back for thirds.


First, I cored and sliced the green pepper.
Then, I moved on to slicing the red onion. 
White or yellow onions will also work,
but I had the red onion left over
Next, I sliced the baby portabella mushrooms,

and added them to my large skillet with the olive oil.
I cooked them until the peppers began to soften
and the onions became translucent.
While the veggies cooked, I sliced an avocado.
I smeared olive oil mayo on the ciabatta
before adding the onions, peppers, mushrooms,
colby-jack cheese, and avocado slices.
Delicious!

PEPPER AND PORTABELLA SANDWICH

Ingredients:

*1 green pepper
*1/4 an onion
*1 c. sliced portabella or baby portabella mushrooms
*2-3 Tb. olive oil
*1 avocado
*3-4 slices colby jack cheese
*2-3 Tb. olive oil mayo or regular mayo
*Ciabatta or other bread

Directions: 

1.  Core and slice green pepper.  Slice onion.  Heat large skillet to medium heat and add olive oil.  Add peppers, onions, and mushrooms.  Saute until onions begin to be translucent and peppers begin to soften.
2.  Spread olive oil mayo on bread.  Add peppers, onion, and portabella mushrooms.  Place slice of cheese on hot vegetables.  Top with sliced avocado.
3.  Serve immediately. 

Yields 2-4 sandwiches


What is your favorite sandwich?

  • Tomorrow is What I Ate Wednesday.  See what I've been eatin'!
  • Come back on Thursday for Veggie Supreme Baked Sandwich, a hot sandwich with black olives, artichokes, mushrooms, and red onion.
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...