Thursday, December 8, 2011

RECIPE: Veggie Supreme Baked Sandwich

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]

Early in our marriage, my husband and I had this problem with leftovers.

We never ate them.

Two bachelors rented from us next door.  We would knock on their door after eating supper, then give them whatever was left in the skillet or baking dish.

The next day, they would give the dish back, nice and clean.

Then, I went back to college, my husband quit his job, tough times ensued. 

We learned how to eat leftovers, even those that other people brought us.

After making Italian Veggie Sandwiches and Pepper and Portabella Sandwiches this week, I had veggies left over: mushrooms, sliced black olives, canned artichokes, and red onion.  I added pizza sauce, pesto, feta cheese, and mozzerella to make this sandwich on country Italian bread.

I didn't include exact ingredients.  You decide how much you want of each.

After convincing my son that the sandwich was like his favorite veggie pizza, he dug in and loved it, too!


 I started with a loaf of country Italian from the store.
The French bread was $1.50 cheaper for more bread,
but I wanted a crisp crust instead of a soft one.
 Next, I chopped some red onion with my Ulu knife.
 I sliced open the loaf lengthwise and added Classico pizza sauce
on the bottom.  It was the only pizza sauce at the store
without high fructose corn syrup and unrecognizable ingredients.
I also spread the top of the bread with pesto sauce
and drizzled it with olive oil, so it wouldn't dry out in the oven.
 I started with the red onions...
 and added sliced portabella mushrooms, canned artichokes,
black olives, and feta cheese.
 Then, I topped it with slices of mozzerella and put it in the oven.
 After 10 minutes, it was perfect!
Here's a hearty, hot sandwich for supper.


VEGGIE SUPREME BAKED SANDWICH

Ingredients:

*loaf of French or Italian bread
*pizza sauce
*pesto sauce
*olive oil
*sliced red onion
*sliced mushrooms
*canned artichokes, drained
*sliced black olives
*feta cheese
*sliced mozzerella cheese

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 425 F. 
2.  Slice bread lengthwise and open loaf.  Spread bottom with pizza sauce.  Spread top with pesto sauce and drizzle with olive oil.
3.  Pile with onions, mushrooms, artichokes, black olives, feta cheese, and top with sliced mozzerella cheese.
4.  Bake sandwich opened for 10 min.
5.  Close sandwich and serve immediately.

What toppings do you think would be good on it?
  • Tomorrow is Follow Friday.  Come back and find three cookie recipe exchanges online!
Pin It Best Blogger Tips

3 comments:

  1. I am definitely not a leftovers fan either! Sometimes, I put them in tupperware with no intention of eating them! I feel so bad being wasteful. Luckily, my hubby likes them so now I just pack it for his lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I do that too! It is like storing them instead of throwing them away immediately is better. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...