Sunday, January 22, 2012

Preview: Six Satisfying Salads

Best Blogger Tips
Liz West/flickr.com
My husband and I made the typical New Year's resolutions. 

Like many people, we want to lose weight and live healthier. 

So far, we have done well.  We workout at the YMCA again.  We don't eat out anymore.  We eat a salad almost every day.
"Greens are the No. 1 food you can eat regularly to help improve your health," says Jill Nussinow, MS, RD, a culinary educator in Northern California and the author of The Veggie Queen. That's because leafy vegetables are brimming with fiber along with vitamins, minerals, and plant-based substances that may help protect you from heart disease, diabetes, and perhaps even cancer. " (WebMD)
However, a salad with iceberg lettuce and ranch dressing can get really dull.
 
I have tried to keep our salads interesting by adding fruit and veggie combinations to the different types of leafy greens.

This week, I will share with you six satisfying salads using Chinese Cabbage, romaine lettuce, mixed greens, spinach, and even iceberg lettuce.  With dried fruit, nuts, olives, beans, and a sprinkle of cheese, each can be eaten as a meal or to accompany a main course. 
  • Today, I will share my favorite salad, Spinach Salad with chickpeas and mushrooms.
  • Monday: Check-in for Asian Salad made with Chinese cabbage and Mandarin oranges.
  • Tuesday: I will make Southwest Salad using romaine lettuce, spicy ranch, shredded cheese, and salsa.
  • What Matthew Ate Wednesday: See what my four year-old son is eating! I also will share Mixed Berry Salad with feta cheese and raspberry vinaigrette.
  • Thursday:  I will share Classic Romaine Salad with shredded Parmesan cheese, grape tomatoes, and black olives.
  • Friday:  I will show you Haystacks, the only salad my four year-old eats.  We make it with corn chips, chili beans, and guacamole. 
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...