Thursday, January 12, 2012

RECIPE: Oatmeal Waffles

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]

I hate pancakes, but I love waffles.

I realize that the batter for each of them is usually the exact same.  There is something special about waffles, however.  The little boxes filled with butter and syrup facinated me as a child.  Making them even required a special appliance, giving them the perfectly cooked, woven appearance.

Now, my four year-old son adores waffles, too.  He doesn't eat them with syrup, but instead wants me to spread butter in those same little squares.

I was buying the waffles from the store, first the standard frozen variety, then the whole wheat versions.  Last week, I decided to buy a waffle iron of my own and create a healthy recipe for my family.

By substituting oat flour for white flour, I added heart-healthy soluble and insoluble fiber.  The oats and the protein from the eggs help you feel fuller longer, too, which may aid in weight loss.

This recipe makes about a 16-18 waffles.  I served a few to my son, then spread the rest out on cookie sheets and placed them in the freezer for one hour.  After they were frozen, I put them in a plastic bag and put them back into the freezer to reheat in the toaster later.

I recommend serving them with real maple syrup, instead of the maple-flavored syrup at the store. The flavored kind is made of corn syrup and is no substitute for real maple syrup.

First, I ground the oats in my Vitamix. 
(A food processor would work, too.)
I added salt, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar to the oats
and gave it another spin.
I set aside the oat flour and mixed the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
I mixed together eggs, melted butter, and almond milk in my Kitchen Aid.
Then, I added the oat flour mixture.
I let it sit for an hour, giving the oats a chance to absorb
the liquid ingredients.
I cooked the waffles until they were done!


OATMEAL WAFFLES

Ingredients:

*5 c. oat flour
*2-4 Tb. sugar
*1 tsp. salt
*1 tsp. baking soda
*4 beaten eggs
*4 c. buttermilk, yogurt, or sour milk^
*1/2 c. melted butter or vegetable oil (optional)

Directions:

1.  In a large bowl, mix the oat flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
2.  In a second bowl, mix the eggs and buttermilk together.  Add the melted butter.  Blend this mixture into the dry ingredients.  Set aside for 1 hour, allowing the oatmeal to absorb the liquid ingredients.
3.  Preheat waffle iron.  Grease waffle iron with non-stick spray.  Place batter in the middle of the iron until cooked.

^To make buttermilk, add 1/4 c. vinegar or lemon juice to 4 c. milk and allow to clabber for 5 min.

What recipe have you made that is a healthier version of something you loved as a kid?

Come back tomorrow for Follow Friday, three places to get great cooking tips and techniques.
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...