Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Las Vegans

Best Blogger Tips
As I was dealing with personal stuff last week, I decided to make a big change in my life:  I decided to go vegan again.

It started like this.

My husband started watching Forks Over Knives on Netflix and I joined him.



I knew about Forks Over Knives for a long time, that it was about a diet free of animal products.  I still didn't watch it though.  I thought it was going to show me slaughterhouses, chicken confinements, etc.  I've seen those videos.  I wasn't eating much meat, almost exclusively fish or chicken.

Instead, the video was about how meat and dairy cause cancer and heart disease.  I already knew about how animal products contribute to heart disease, cholesterol, diabetes, and obesity.  I thought I was making healthy choices by choosing "lean meats" and eating less dairy.

Growing up in a church that places importance on diet and health, I heard that meat caused cancer.  I assumed it was because of the hormones, antibiotics, etc.  I didn't realize it was because of the animal protein itself.

Forks Over Knives inspired me to
  • trash the little processed food left in my house
  • stop eating dairy and preparing food with it
  • stop eating eggs
  • stop eating chicken and fish (I already stopped buying beef)
  • make fruits and veggies 75% of all the food I eat
  • order from the organic food co-op in town
So now my husband and I are eating a plant-based, vegan diet.  I eat lots of frozen fruit and salads.  I now plan my meals around vegetables, instead of meat or a dairy.  Since I'm breastfeeding, I still drink two soy protein shakes a day, to make sure I get the protein to make milk for my child.  I don't want to take any chances.

I feel great.  I've lost 5 lbs. and started going to the gym again.

I will keep you updated!

ElenaPin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...