Thursday, February 2, 2012

RECIPE: Tortilla Spirals

Best Blogger Tips
[Print this Recipe]

My four year-old has this thing for tortillas.  He will sneak them out of the fridge, fold them up, and gnaw on them.  If the package of tortillas is missing from the fridge, we can usually find it empty underneath the dining room table.

I was thinking of him when I came up with this healthy snack idea.  I used a whole wheat tortilla, spread vegetarian refried beans on it, then topped it with guacamole, spinach leaves, a little shredded cheese, and green onions.  I added a little novelty by rolling it into a spiral, slicing it, then putting the wheels on bamboo skewers.

The whole wheat tortilla has fiber.  The beans also have fiber and when added to the tortilla, they create a complete protein.  I used fresh spinach for iron, calcium, and antioxidants.  The shredded cheese adds more protein.  The green onions provide vitamins A, B, C, and K.  If you make your own guacamole, you add healthy fat which lowers overall cholesterol.

 First, I spread the refried beans on the tortilla.

 Then, I placed the spinach leaves on top.

 I spread the guacamole on the spinach.
(I layered it this way to help the ingredients stick.)

 I topped it with a little shredded cheese and green onion.

 Finally, I rolled it up, sliced it, and placed the wheels on skewers.
(Matthew thought they were pretty cool.)



TORTILLA SPIRALS

Ingredients:

*1 pkg. whole wheat tortillas
*1 can refried beans
*1 bag fresh spinach
*guacamole
*1 bag reduced fat shredded cheese
*1 bunch green onions

Directions:

1.  Spread refried beans over tortillas. Layer with spinach, guacamole, cheese, and green onions.  Roll up tortilla and toppings.  Carefully slice, creating spirals.  

I am sharing six healthy super bowl snacks with you this week. 
Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...