Tuesday, June 12, 2012

WIAW: Couch to 5k

Best Blogger Tips About two months ago, inspired by my best friend who has lost 60 lbs. since the first of the year and ran her first 5k, I started jogging. 

I wanted to run a 5k too, so I printed off a couch to 5k plan and went to the Y.  I hadn't regularly worked out in months, but I felt great and wasn't out of breath.  Instead of resting every other day, I spent that first week jogging for 10 out of 30 minutes every day.

By that Sunday, my knees were killing me.

It hurt to walk. Stairs caused excruciating pain.  There was no way I could continue the plan.

So, I looked up knee pain, runners' knees, and how to rehabiliate my knees while building strength.  For six weeks, I stretched, lifted weights, walked, and eventually began using the elliptical trainer.  I decided to restart the couch to 5k at the beginning of June.

Last week, I made sure I didn't try to run every day.  I biked for 30 minutes during the off days and made sure I stretched well and continued to build strength in my knees by lifting weights every other day.

This week, my knees are in great shape.  I began week two on Monday.

Since my body feels so good from all of my exercising, I feel like eating healthy foods.  I'm more focused on how much I eat.  Even though the scale isn't moving as quickly as I wish, I can feel changes in my muscles.  I feel stronger, leaner, and I have more energy.  I'm trying to eat nutritious foods that fuel my body at regular intervals.

Here is what I ate.






For breakfast, I used 1/2 c. organic quick oats, 1/2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract, and 1 c. of original flavor almond milk to make oatmeal.  I topped it with 1 c. of chopped fresh strawberries and 1 Tb. of ground flaxseed for extra fiber.

At lunchtime, I created a delicious wrap with an Ezekiel sprouted grain tortilla and 1 oz. of vegan cheddar-style cheese warmed in the microwave until the cheese melted.  I filled it with swiss chard from my friend's garden, sliced tomato, and 1 Tb. of Annie's Organic Goddess dressing.  I also ate a Golden Delicious apple.

For a snack, I had a piece of toasted Ezekiel sprouted grain bread with 1 Tb. of Justin's Maple Almond Butter and another Golden Delicious apple.

I made a simple supper for us: a salad, a Yukon Gold and a red potato topped with House Seasoning and broccoli florets.  I made the salad with lettuce from our friend's garden, then added cherry tomatoes and green onions from the farmers market.  I topped it with a Tb. Ken's lite balsamic viniagrette.

After supper, I ate four dates to satisfy my craving for something sweet.

I feel like I ate all day, but I only ate less than 1300 calories and managed to fit in 35 grams of fiber.

This week I'm going to try my best to post a new recipe!

Pin It Best Blogger Tips
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...